5-2 Discussion: Contingency and Dr. King Discussion Topic Top of Form Starts Sep 28, 2019 11:59 PM Bottom of Form Based on your reading in the webtext, respond to the….
Write an informative essay that meets the following expectations
The Spanish-American War marks a large shift in U.S. foreign policy. After this war, the U.S. became an imperial power. In at least 250 words, make a claim as to whether or not becoming an imperial power was good for the country, by following these directions:
- Research on your own and find a primary source on U.S. imperialism. Consider looking for information on one of the countries that became U.S. protectorates.
- A primary source is an original document or artifact that comes from the period of time being studied
- Someone from that time period actually wrote, created, or used the object the historian is studying
- Using the information from your primary source, and the information from the lesson, develop a claim as to whether or not imperialism was good for the U.S.
- Fulfill the following concerning your claim:
- Your claim should clearly state why imperialism was, or was not, beneficial for the U.S.
- Your claim must have supporting statements that are original ideas, as well as facts and evidence from your source, and information from the lesson, that supports it.
- You must have a counterclaim that refutes your claim. Your writing will identify the stance and prove that it is false.
- Write an informative essay that meets the following expectations:
- Establishes and maintains formal an objective tone
- Uses words, phrases, and clauses to link each section of writing together and creates cohesion between claims and evidence
- Follows expectations of conventions
- Provide a concluding paragraph that:
- Synthesizes your original claim
- Summarizes your key points
- Adds concluding thoughts
- Cite your primary source and this lesson as a secondary source at the bottom of your essay.