ASSESSMENT 1 – Research Paper
- is an individual project.
- will contribute 50% to your overall course grade.
- should be a written as a Literature Review, Research Paper, or Essay
- should be 3,000 words in length (10%+ or – rule applies to word limit)
- should use text that is single line spaced and 12 font in size (APA writing style is preferred)
This assignment aims to enhance student’s research and referencing skills whilst gaining an understanding of contemporary theory in relation to the planning and development profession.
Students are to write a paper relating to one of the following planning and development related topics.
- Review of Queensland Planning Controls (Legislation and Policy)
- Sustainable development outcomes encouraged through the Gold Coast Planning Scheme
- Queensland planning legislation review in achieving sustainable development practices.
- Review of planning legislation in a city of your choice regarding its ability to address sustainable development.
- (or) Topic of your choice – must be urban planning related and approved by the lecturer via email.
You should frame the report as a research paper and must:
- Formulate a specific focus in which to relate your topic to (ie How does planning as a profession relate to the development industry?)
- Provide a detailed review of the topic through the use of a variety of reputable and academic sources (ie references) such as journal articles, text books, professional publications, newspaper articles, etc. The use of non-academic or reputable websites such as Wikipedia, etc, are not to be utilised as a reference source. The use of internet-based research material is to be drawn upon from peer review published works or hard copy material from a relevant source such as the library.
- Clearly define the scope of the assessment (eg what you will and will not cover in the report)
- Justify your findings through the inclusion of analytical discussion.
- Provide a clear structure and layout for the paper. For example:
- Content, Findings & Analytical Discussion
Note: You are not restricted to the above suggested structure. Other suitable headings are also encouraged to be included in the paper.