Length: 30 slides Task Students are asked to prepare a PowerPoint presentation with the target audience of a consumer or carer group within the mental health sector. You should choose one psychiatric….
PowerPoint presentation with the target audience of a consumer or carer group within the mental health sector.
Length: 30 slides
Students are asked to prepare a PowerPoint presentation with the target audience of a consumer or carer group within the mental health sector. You should choose one psychiatric diagnosis from the list below and conduct a search of the literature on this diagnosis.
As well as providing information for the target audience, the presentation should outline how this diagnosis would be viewed from each of the frameworks discussed during the course – Biomedical, Psychological and Social.
Provide examples of how the different frameworks would view the definition, symptoms, aetiology and experiences of the person with the mental health diagnosis. Students can use the note section of the PowerPoint presentation to provide further information or discussion on these issues.
Your presentation should focus on the following four areas:
1. The definition of the illness (may include information about how mental health/illness is viewed by the different frameworks);
2. The nature of the illness (e.g. explanation of symptoms that a person may experience, how the person would be identified as experiencing a mental health problem);
3. The overall impact of this illness on a person, their family and community;
4. How and where a person experiencing this mental health issue would find support and information.
Remember this presentation is designed to inform the audience (a member of the family/carer group or group of people who have been diagnosed) and should be presented in a way that is acceptable to the target audience. Referencing will be required and should be presented on the final slides of the presentation. Students should access journal articles, websites and books to inform their presentation.
Criteria for Assessment
You will be assessed on the following:
1. Your ability to address the above four key areas in the presentation. (12 marks)
2. That you demonstrate an understanding of the Biomedical, Psychological and Social frameworks of viewing mental illness and the ability to apply these frameworks to the selected diagnosis. (18 marks)
3. Your presentation uses language and descriptions appropriate for the target audience. (6 marks)
4. You provide a quality presentation that is creative, grammatically correct, accurately referenced, and well-structured. (4 marks).
Students will be asked to select a diagnosis from the following list for the basis of their presentation:
· Brief Psychotic Disorder
· Major Depressive Disorder
· Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia)
· Bipolar Disorder
· Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
· Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia)
· Generalised Anxiety Disorder
· Body Dysmorphic Disorder
· Somatic Symptom Disorder
· Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
· Anorexia Nervosa
· Bulimia Nervosa
· Antisocial Personality Disorder
· Borderline Personality Disorder