- What is cultural blindness? What are the dangers for a company being culturally blind to its business environment?
- What is the difference between an early awareness system (EAS) and an early warning system (EWS)? Why are intelligence and warning systems necessary for global corporations?
- Do you think it is necessary for global corporations to establish EAS and EWS systems in host countries such as China and Russia where the news media don’t operate freely?
- As a corporate diplomat would you advise a global company to do an occasional town hall type meeting to assess public reactions to its business practices in a host country?
- Consider the United CEO’s initial response. How would you, as the United CEO, have responded differently to this to avoid reputational damage?
The following texts are used in the course:
- Argenti, Paul.Corporate Communication, 8th Edition. New York: McGraw Hill, 2022.
- Kline, John M.Ethics For International Business: Decision Making in a Global Political Economy. New York: Routledge, 2010.
- Steger, Ulrich.Corporate Diplomacy: The Strategy for a Volatile, Fragmented Environment. Chichester, England: John Wiley &Sons, 2003.
- Chapter, 5
- Chapters 4
- Case: “United Airlines Flight 3411”
- Melymuka, Kathleen. “Early-Warning System: How to avoid being blindsided by the future.”Computer World, 28 November 2005. (Library link)
- Kriendler, John.Anticipating Crises. NATO Review.
- Aly, Heber. “The push to anticipate crises gains steam.”The New Humanitarian, September 2021.