Readings: From HBS Five Pillars for Doing Business in Africa: A Roadmap to Opportunities
From HBS: Khanna and Palepu “Emerging Giants” (HBS)
Prepare a five (5) minute presentation on the following: Take the role of a consultant to the GM of Soweto Gold, Mr. Ndumiso Madlala and answer the question: How does Soweto Gold continue to grow? Should it go overseas and enter other country markets? What are its advantages and disadvantages if it goes overseas?
These questions may help in preparing you for your role-play as a consultant:
1. What industry is Soweto Gold in (what type of global industry is it)? What is the value proposition?
2. How well is Soweto Gold competing against the MNEs in its local market?
3. What AAA strategy is Soweto Gold using?
4. How well is Ndumiso Madlala carrying out the four basic tasks of a manager; i.e., planning, organizing, leading, controlling?
5. How well is Ndumiso Madlala building the managerial capability of Soweto Gold Corp?
6. Why is Soweto Gold able to compete against MNEs, in South Africa?
7. Does it have the same or similar advantages in other country markets?
8. What AAA strategy would you recommend they use overseas?