American Builders, Inc. has just completed construction of the Freedom Tower – a 250 floor skyscraper located in California, which is now the world’s largest building. This massive tower cost….
What Makes a Good Interview?
Discussion 2: What Makes a Good Interview?
The intent of a qualitative interview is to encourage, elicit, and illuminate the interviewee’s experience in rich, thick detail. Consider that most interviewees will only have a general idea of your research goals and the depth you need for analysis. Therefore, your presentation of the interview questions and engagement with the interviewee are the tools that guide the process.
As you consider your interview, think about:
- Asking of questions to ask to encourage stories and examples
- How to “reframe” questions to reduce ambiguity and bias
- What you can do to make the interviewee at ease
- What you can do to build rapport and trust
You will examine the characteristics of a good qualitative interview.
- Review the Yob and Brewer interview questions in Appendix A at the end of the article and consider how interview guides are used in research.
- Review the Interview Guide Instructions and the Interview Guide Example found in this week’s Learning Resources and use these documents to guide you during your interview.
Post your explanation of the characteristics of a good qualitative interview. Also include what makes a good interview guide. Use the interview questions from Yob and Brewer’s interview guide to support your post.
Be sure to support your main post and response post with reference to the week’s Learning Resources and other scholarly evidence in APA style.