Essay topic ideas:
Below are some examples of topics that have been chosen for the essay. You can choose your own topic or use the subject areas below to guide you. Older adult mental, depression and COVID19
- The impact of loneliness and depression on older adults
- Homelessness and mental health (depression, anxiety, psychosis and/or substance use) in (group of choice) e.g women, men or young people.
- Methamphetamine use amongst Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adolescents.
- The impact of PTSD on Asylum seekers.
- Depression and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adolescents.
- Depression and lesbian, gay and bisexual youths.
- Out of home care and the impact on mental health.
- Major depression in adolescent girls leading to suicidal ideation
- Anxiety in adolescent females with autism spectrum disorder
- The impact of post partum depression on (group of choice) e.g. adolescents, older women, Aboriginal Australian women)
- The impact of social media and adolescent girls experiencing Anorexia Nervosa
- Anorexia Nervosa and adolescent females (or males)
- Post partum psychosis in women with a pre-existing mental health condition
- Paternal postnatal depression
- Methamphetamine use and the impact on users, families and caregivers.
- The potential impact of postnatal depression on a baby’s development.
You will choose and write an essay exploring a contemporary (current) practice topic that impacts on the mental health and wellbeing of service users (consumers/clients/patients). Using a recovery focused approach you will consider strategies that could be used to work collaboratively with the person, their families and carers while respecting cultural and social sensitivities.
Assignment Type: Assignment
Assignment Description: Contemporary practice topic
Word count: 1750 words (plus 10%)
Unit Learning Outcomes:
ULO1: Determine the mental health strategies required to manage a range of theoretical and clinical situations for clients experiencing mental illness (CLO 3).
ULO4: Describe the recovery-oriented approach to working with people with a mental health condition, their families, and carers.
ULO5: Discuss the importance of cultural and social sensitivities from a global perspective in relation to mental health issues (CLO 6)
The aim of this task is to write an essay exploring a topic that is relevant to mental health and wellbeing. This will enable you to demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the topic area and how you can use a recovery orientated approach to work with the person.
Using evidence from predominantly journals to support your work, the following steps will help you complete this task:
Choose an area of mental health that is of interest to you (there is a separate document below with examples if you would like some ideas).
Explore your chosen mental health topic in depth by searching the literature and reading research papers about your topic.
Examine the impact of your chosen topic on the wellbeing of service users (consumers/clients/patients) by reading peer-reviewed literature and research papers that explores the impact ideally from the person’s (patient, service users, consumer) perspective.
Describe how you would use a recovery focused approach to work with the person (and their family).
Discuss strategies to support the persons mental health and how these that could be used to work collaboratively with the person, their family and/or carers while respecting cultural and social sensitivities.
The details below may help you to structure your assignment. Please Note: You do not have to follow this structure it is to give you an idea about how your essay may look.
Provide an introduction to your chosen contemporary practice topic including how/why your topic is relevant from a global perspective.
Summarise why it is important for nurses and/or midwives to have an understanding of your chosen topic.
Explain why your chosen topic is important from the perspective of service users, their families and carers.
Address what strategies are available to support the person, their families and carers.
Discuss how a recovery orientated approach can be used to help the nurse and/or midwife work collaboratively with the person, their families and carers while respecting cultural and social needs?
You should conclude your essay by identifying what you have learnt and how you will practice differently in the future as a result of your learning from writing this essay