You work for a pharmaceutical company where you are assigned the task of creating new drug therapies to treat thyroid disorders such as hyperthyroidism (high levels of T3 and T4) and hypothyroidism (low levels of T3 and T4). Your team has designed a few drugs, and your job is to identify which drug(s) would be successful in treating thyroid disorders based on your knowledge of thyroid hormone synthesis. Below is the list of drugs your team designed (all of these are hypothetical drugs).
- Peroxidine: A drug that inhibits thyroid peroxidase from functioning
- Cimigine: A drug that inhibits potassium/iodine cotransporter
- Iodimine: A drug that inhibits iodinase from functioning
- Aldosine: A drug that inhibits production of angiotensinogen from the liver
- Aldoramine: A drug that inhibits sodium/iodine cotransporter
- Thyromine: A drug that stimulates thyroglobulin production
Identify the drug(s) that would be successful in treating hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, and explain why and how they would be successful.
Be detailed in your explanation and support your answer with facts from your textbook, research, and articles from scholarly journals. In addition, remember to add references in APA format to your posts to avoid plagiarism.
2. A tuning fork is placed against the forehead of a patient. The sound is loudest in the left ear. What can you determine about the patient’s hearing? What is happening in the left ear and the right ear? Begin your Internet search with the National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders website. Also, search for deafness, hearing, and cochlea.
3. Multiple studies conducted in the United States, Canada, Germany, and the United Kingdom show that the probability of dying in the hospital is higher if you are admitted on the weekend. Why might this be? What factors might contribute to this probability? What could hospitals do to reduce/eliminate this phenomenon?