1. Answer the Case Study Questions (found at the end of each case study) in 500-750 words total (not including reference list). 2. Include at least one additional, external reference….
Expressed And Implied Arguments In The Media And Definition Essay
In the argument chapter, you learned about expressed arguments (overt arguments attempting to persuade the audience towards a point of view) and implied arguments (arguments that appear on the surface not to be arguments but actually seek to persuade the audience of a point of view or views). For this DQ, provide a specific example from the media of an expressed argument and an implied argument and answer the following questions:
- What is the expressed argument you identified? What specific argument does the author make? What evidence does the author use to support his or her claims?
- What is the implied argument you identified? What specific argument does the author make? What evidence does the author use to support his or her claims?
- Why is it important to understand expressed and implied arguments?
- How might you use your understanding of expressed and implied arguments when drafting your first essay in this course?
Note: You may use visual arguments such as photos and pictures, but you will still need to explain your rationale for why you believe the author is making a specific argument.
Be sure to cite all sources used to compose your answer. Format your in-text citations and reference list.
Please review the following video Writing Process about writing introductory paragraphs and thesis statements, with particular focus on Section One: Organizing the College Essay. Note: This link works best in the Google Chrome browser.
For the first essay, you will be writing a definition essay about a term related to organ sales or donations. Please share your current thesis statement for your definition essay. Here is a sample thesis statement for the definition essay:
Organ sales in the United States would be unethical because they exploit the poor, favor the rich, and create an unfair or black market organ lottery.