Scenario:?You are?interviewing for a position?as?a law enforcement officer who?is?expected to?interact?regularly with juveniles and adults.?The?hiring?committee?wants?to choose?a candidate?who can write clearly?and?who?demonstrates?a solid understanding of standard?procedures?in the?juvenile versus criminal?justice systems.
Write?a?700-?to?1,050-word paper comparing?the?procedures?that?law enforcement officers?and courts?should?follow?when?interacting with?juveniles?versus adults?during?the stages of?intake, prosecution,?adjudication, and disposition.Complete?the following in your paper:
- Summarize?the?case?you chose?and the?legal issues facing the?juvenile?and the court.
- Define?the role and key parameters of the juvenile justice system.
- Explain?the function of juvenile vs. adult courts.
- Summarize?the court’s philosophy of juvenile justice used in this case.
- Explain?how law enforcement?and the courts?might?have?interacted differently with?this person?as a juvenile?than if he?or she?had been an?adult.
- Summarize the rights and confidentiality protections that exist for?this?juvenile?that?are?not the same for adults.?Use the State Profiles from the National Juvenile Defender?Center and?include at least?1?policy specific to your state that would be relevant in this case.
- Which community-based program do you think will be best suited to assist the troubled youth in your chosen scenario to help prevent further crimes? Justify your suggestions based on history, trends, causation theories, and the potential for reform. Use current statistics and data to support your claims.
- Use?language?and terms appropriate for each justice system?when comparing?juveniles versus?adults.