How is Mrs. Mallard ‘s character developed? Do you see examples of exposition, where the narrator simply tells us information about the protagonist? In addition, does Chopin portray particular emotional responses, thoughts, and actions to reveal Mrs. Mallard ‘s character? If so, how? How does she employ point of view in this story?
2. What is your impression of Brently Mallard? What elements of the story generate this impression?
3. How is setting (both the historical period and the physical atmosphere of the story) used to contribute to the story ‘s meaning?
4. What is Mrs. Mallard ‘s social class? What clues lead you to this conclusion?
5. What is the story ‘s central conflict? Does Mrs. Mallard change, as we might expect a protagonist to do?
6. What are the important themes of this story