Final Paper Assignment The primary goal of your final assignment is to critically analyze the specific topic you have chosen regarding American national government. You have been preparing for this….
Qualitative researchers approach data collection with an appreciation of the data sources (the participants, documents, etc.) as the key to understanding the phenomenon of interest.
Discussion: Coding, Categories, and Themes
Qualitative researchers approach data collection with an appreciation of the data sources (the participants, documents, etc.) as the key to understanding the phenomenon of interest. The same is true for data analysis. The researcher chooses an approach or approaches in order to systematically move through the words and images to identify codes, categories and themes that will reflect the sources’ experience.
- A codeis a word or short phrase that assigns an attribute, idea, or quality to a portion of text or visual data.
- A categoryis a collection of these codes that share attributes, meaning, and/or intent. It is also labeled with a word or short phrase.
- A theme is developed from one or more categories and can represent a “manifest” (directly observable) or “latent” (underlying) aspect of the phenomenon.
For this Discussion, you will examine coding, categories, and themes in your qualitative data you previously collected.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Consider the differences in coding, categories, and themes.
- Search for books, encyclopedias and articles related to coding, categories, and themes in qualitative research.
- Identify two or more codes that could be grouped into a category. Next, identify samples of text you chose to define the codes.
- Consider if you can detect a theme emerging from your data analysis process. If you can identify a theme, name and describe it. If you cannot, consider why this is the case.
Write explanation of the differences between codes, categories, and themes. Provide examples from your work. Use an article you found to support your explanation.
Be sure to support your main post and response post with reference to the week’s Learning Resources and other scholarly evidence in APA style.