Step 1: Gather data online about the country in the following areas –
Step 2: Score the countries based on the three factors. Give points (3, 2, or 1) for each factor. “3” is high; “1” is low.
- How far from the equator? (the further the better)
- Are there insects that attack agriculture in a big way (tsetse fly, locusts, …)?
- How good is the access to water transportation?
- On the coast? … or land-locked?
- How many navigable rivers?
- Are there lots of natural minerals (including oil)?
- Do winter temperatures go below 61 Fahrenheit?
- How many inches of rainfall per year (more is better)?
- Is the rainfall spread across all seasons (more spread is better)?
- Is religion important to people – what percentage of the people are believers?
- Is the primary religion in the country fatalistic or progressive (focused on betterment)?
- What percentage of women are educated?
- Is society dominated by tribes, clans, or racial divides?
- Is there a general openness to new technology?
- Other factors?
- How many major universities per capita (for every citizen)?
- How many banks or finance institutions per capita
- The percent of the population with access to electricity
- The percent of the population with access to basic phone services
- The percent of the population with access to internet
- Level of corruption according to Transparency International