This assignment focuses on using the EBP process and applying an EBP model or framework to improve your writing skills. Writing that is characterized by strong organization, appropriate use of….
Explore the nursing considerations and strategies involved in the management of Kate, prior, during and after the acute surgical operation.
Analyse the case and respond to below one question in the essay
• Explore the nursing considerations and strategies involved in the management of Kate, prior, during and after the acute
Kate is a 52-year-old female patient who lives with her husband in Whittlesea, Victoria. She has three teenage children at home. Her height is
167 cm, and she weighs 98 kg and has had asthma since she was a child. She works as a receptionist. Kate’s father died of complications from
asthma when he was 40 years old. Her mother is in good health, with mild hypertension. Kate was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 4 years ago
and she’s on regular oral metformin twice daily with poor adherence. On most evenings, she drinks two large glasses of red wine.
Kate’s asthma is well controlled with 80 mcg twice a day inhalation of beclomethasone. When she has the occasional common cold, she requires salbutamol
MDI to relieve her asthma symptoms.
Kate and her family just returned from a 5-day trip to Sydney when one of her children had a high temperature and was diagnosed with a chest infection
after return. Yesterday, Kate began to feel unwell. She became dyspnoeic within a day and had a temperature of 39 Celsius Degrees. She wheezed and
coughed and had chest tightness. She started her asthma plan with salbutamol however her condition deteriorated, and her husband took her to the ED
On examination at the ED, Kate’s O2 Saturation level was 90%, respiration was 32 breaths/min and her pulse was 110 b/m. She was using her neck and
upper chest accessory muscle to breath and speaking in words only. The nurse also noticed a slight tremor on Kate’s hands. She appeared to be very tired
but was also very anxious.
Kate was discharged 5 days after ED visit. One week after discharge, Kate presented to the emergency department again with 24-hour history
of nausea, vomiting, and severe right lower quadrant abdominal pain with radiation over her periumbilical area. She stated to the doctor that
she had had similar pain over the last week but not as bad as it was now. Following assessment and investigation, Kate was diagnosed as
having acute appendicitis and was scheduled for laparoscopic appendectomy in theatre in 4 hours.
On examination, her temperature was 37.5 degrees; 25 breaths/min, pulse 115b/min. BP 140/95mmHg. The review of systems showed clear
lung and heart sounds. Her blood glucose was 5.0 mmol/L. Kate was conscious but anxious.
Details of Task:
Length: 1,500 words
Submission requirements –
– 1” margins on all sides of page with double spaced in 12-point Times New Roman in
– You are required to comply with set work limits, deviations beyond 10% either way maybe penalized (do not count
the words in your reference list but do count the words used in in-text citations).
– Submitting assignment in accordance with APA 7 referencing style.
– Search for and identify the key literature related to best practice in the topic area. Around 10 – 12 references, You
will be expected to use evidence-based journal articles (a minimum of 6),
– e – textbooks (a minimum of 2) and appropriate authoritative web sites (not Better Health Channel, Virtual Hospital, etc.),
and all references used are to be no older than ten years.
– Headings are encouraged to help you outline and structure your assignment but are not complusory. Do not use bullet points
to organize your paragraphs; writing must be organised in logical and sequential paragraphs.
– Assignment mark guide and rubric is on pages 4 – 7