Topic – Analyze the social and economic changes brought by industrialization during the Gilded Age. Guidelines for Research Paper Be sure that your paper meets the assigned page requirements (10 Pages),….
Describe the Biological and Cultural exchange- what components are most important?(list them) (p.19-21)
Brinkley Chapter 1, “Collision of Cultures”
Essay Prompts: Be prepared to answer and discuss!!
1. Analyze the differences between the Spanish settlements in the Southwest and the English colonies in New England in the seventeenth century in terms of TWO of the following:
· Economic development
2. “Geography was the primary factor in shaping the development of the British colonies in North America”
· Assess the validity of this statement for the 1600’s.
3. “The English founded colonies to escape oppression in England.”
· Assess the validity of this statement.
Key Terms to Know for the Test
Henry the Navigator
St. Augustine, Florida 1565
Santa Fe 1609
John Cabbot 1497
Coureurs de Bois
St. Lawrence River
Dutch West India Company
Joint Stock Company
Sir Walter Raleigh
Virginia Companies of London and Plymouth
Specifics of Chapter:
· Pay attention to each picture and map (include a mention of some of these in your notes)
· Address the following specific items
· You may skip things that I don’t ask you to read
· Include page numbers in the notes you make
· (It’s also ok to outline the entire chapter)
1. Look at the picture and read the caption, “First Encounters…” What do you notice about the European view of Native Americans? (p.1)
“America Before Columbus”
2. How did first people arrive in America?
“Civilizations in the South”
3. List main aspects of the Incas
4. List main aspects of the Mayans
“Civilizations of the North”
5. List main aspects of the Northern Native Populations (especially the Woodland Indians pg. 6-7)
6. What do the Maps on pages 4 and 5 teach us?
7. Outline Columbus’s career.
8. Compare and contrast Cortez and Pizarro in a Venn Diagram
9. List and describe the 3 Phases of Conquest.
10. Copy the map on page 16 (not too much detail)
Read about the Spanish Empire organization
11. The Pueblo Revolt
13. Population of New Spain
14. Describe the Biological and Cultural exchange- what components are most important?(list them) (p.19-21)
15. What’s the story with “Africa and America” (p.21-23)
16. Who is more important- Cabot or Hakluyt why? (p.23-25)
17. Reformation Ideas are really important- note- John Calvin, Predestination, English Reformation, Separatists… (p.25-28)
18. Why is Ireland important to the early development of English Colonial organization? (Gilbert) (p.28-30)
19. Summarize the Plantation model as the English used it? (p.29-30)
20. Summarize French settlement (p.30-31)
21. Summarize Dutch settlement (p.30-31)
22. Summarize the settlement of Roanoke (p.31-32)