· List and describe 3 major functions of the skeletal system? · Compare and contrast compact and spongy bone? · Describe the effect exercise has on bone tissue? · During….
Calculate the percentage of time spent by a cell in each stage based on the 24-hour cell cycle.
Instructions: Read and perform the following experiment and download the forms supplied below.
Once you have completed the form, upload the completed form.
PART 1: CALCULATING TIME SPENT IN EACH CELL CYCLE PHASE
- The length of the cell cycle in the onion root tip is about 24 hours. Predict how many hours of the 24-hour cell cycle you think each step takes. Record your predictions, along with supporting evidence, in Table 1.
- Click the microscope image in the materials section to examine the onion root tip slide images in the slide viewer. Eachimage displays a different field of view. Pick one of the images, and count the number of cells in each stage. Then, count thetotal number of cells in the image. Record the image you selected and your counts in Table 2.
- Calculate the percentage of time spent by a cell in each stage based on the 24-hour cell cycle. Use the following equation below, and record the percentages in Table 2.
PART 2: IDENTIFYING STAGES OF THE CELL CYCLE
- Observe the images of the onion root tip.
- Locate a good example of a cell in each of the following stages: interphase, prophase, metaphase, anaphase, and telo-
- Draw the dividing cell in the appropriate area for each stage of the cell cycle, exactly as it appears in the slide images. In-
clude your drawings in Table 3.